Sunday, December 7

Bodie's b-day was pretty awesome. He said he wanted a chocolate cake w/ sprinkles...I saw he had a bakugon in his hand, so we decided to make it a chocolate cake w/ sprinkles w/ bakugons...I looked on-line and found a homemade cake that looked do-able. We had a lot of fun making it together - Bodie decorated the bakugons and was pretty proud of them.
Photobucket

(this is the funniest pic of him, and he looks 20yrs older than he is, but I'll take it.)

The finished product. Not too bad for a last min. decision! It's a fun one. (And totally NOT my brainchild)
Photobucket

The cake was from a box (2 actually), but I made the frosting and it was perty yummy. I doubled the recipe to ensure I had enough for the triple layer cake and cake balls... In case ya want to know:
Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
Cream together w/ the paddle:
-4 sticks of butter (I KNOW -YIKES)
-2 boxes of cream cheese
add:
-4 tsp. vanilla
-8 C. powdered sugar
-1 C. of hershey's powder (maybe more?)
-some milk...4 TBSP. ? again, not too sure - just to get it to the desired consistency.
Photobucket
Bodie was soooo happy and excited the whole day. For dinner he wanted pizza "from the box" :) Then we went downtown for 'winter wonderland' and the lighting of the trees in Wheeler Park. (not too exciting) and then came back home for cake and ice cream...
Photobucket
He FINALLY got a Ben-10 watch...he's been wanting one FOREVER, and his excitement over it didn't disappoint. Dad and Brock got him a BIG bakugon...he has a little one that he always carries in his pocket...it's pretty funny the things these kids get into and what we parents have to learn...Bodie was also so lucky to have both sets of g-parents up...He felt pretty special, and is still on cloud 9. :)
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Jess is working today. Such a bummer on Sundays. My parents came to church w/ us (that totally worked out in my favor! phew!) After they left for home, the boys and I set up the Christmas tree...It was a lot of fun. Bodie and Brock (Wyatt went down for a nap) were really into it -seeing all the ornaments and putting theirs on the tree. It feels good and festive to have it up finally. Jess set up our outside lights a couple days ago and I love that too.

(Steve made me the grapevine tree on the porch)

I half-way thought of taking the kids to the church to watch the First Presidency's Christmas Devotional, and then it clicked that I could watch it on-line. What a treat! The boys were busy doing their thing, and I was able to attentively listen. I was truly EDIFIED...and loved each one's message...To have a conscious, committed effort to bring Christ into our lives and homes this season and to give meaningful gifts, gifts that draw our hearts to the Savior, and gifts of service...to think of those in need. We have always been modest in our gift-giving to the kiddos, but I am excited to have a fresh outlook. I love this time of year. I love the music. I love the feeling in the air. I love the LIGHTS, and the smells, and the FOOD, (although I wish I didn't) and the get-togethers, and I love my Savior.

Goals this Week:
-Get gifts figured out (especially on a budget!)
-Get Christmas cards done -although we don't have many pics to choose from...hmm...
-Practice music (I'm singing in a quartet a beautiful arrangement of Silent Night. We had our first practice tonight and it WAS (mom) a lot of fun!)
-Find a b-day present for Wyatt...prob. anything spiderman... (Nana brought him this:)
Photobucket
And he was pretty stoked. Barely got him into his church clothes this morning!
-Get to the gym everyday
-Do 3 random acts of service

Looking forward to:
-Wyatt's b-day
-The LIGHT parade
-Primary Activity

6 comments:

Jade said...

Happy birthday Bodie!! Love that cake, AWESOME job!!

Josie Allen said...

That cake looks yummy! Sorry we couldn't make it. We had two prior engagements. Glad you guys had fun!

Anonymous said...

Yum cake. I'll have to try out that frosting sometime. What the heck are bakugons??? Can't believe you have a 5 year old. I loved the devotional too. Always good to hear the First Presidency speak. So refreshing.

melinda said...

What a fun time of year you guys--besides the normal holiday festivities, birthdays! You are busy!!

Happy birthday 5 year old Bodie! Great bakugons--good job!

Cassie Simonton said...

Ummm..I have all boys and I have no idea what bakugons are? We hate to be left out...please enlighten us!! Happy Birthday Bodie...can you believe how big our boys are getting...man time flies.

Kim said...

Bodie! Happy Birthday to him! Wow, he does look OLD in that one picture.

Your cake is totally RAD! I LOVE TO BAKE, and you certainly take baking to another level!

Congratulations on beautiful decorations on the house, and a well executed birthday celebration for Bodie -THE LITTLE MAN!