Wednesday, October 29


We finally picked up the Jeff Bertoncino prints I purchased last year...

I was at my Sister's gallery opening (without Jess) and made a
spontaneous purchase. (very unlike myself) Jess is a very good man
and forgave me. I think I could love him forever for that quality alone.
I still get a pit in my stomach thinking about having to tell the kid what
I had done.

A few months ago we were down in the Valley, and stopped in
the gallery to pick up the prints. I will admit I had forgotten
what they looked like... (I was in a buyer's haze when it all went down.)

So here these beauties are. I was going to put them up in our room,
but changed my mind and set them on the mantle. (The previous
tenants weren't working out so well.) They still need to be framed
and hung, but this will do for now.

(I think Jess is hoping I could sell them back some how. Part
of me feels that way too, but they are pretty and serene to me.)

Isn't 'art' so interesting?? Or I should say the monetary
value people place on art?? I think so.

From the artist:

"I have a desire to bring to myself, and to others a sense of subtle elements regarding the human figure, and its environmental rule. All of this is important to preserve in my own mind, and my own heart.

The Female figure is a story that will never die. There is a certain elegance, a subtle mystery, a thing that can never be resolved. My compositions are not premeditated and the figure begins to emerge almost of its own volition. It is a pulling of shapes out of a cloud. I use somber browns, greys, off-whites and grounded greens to create an atmosphere that is neither focused nor easily definable. I like to put the figure in this environment that is all kind of muted.

The result is a sumptuous, deep surface that appears almost leatherly, sometimes sanded smooth, sometimes left rough, but always deep. And the figures appear, breaking up the spaces vertically or horizontally, emerging from the depths."

Jeff Bertoncino

5 comments:

The Dean Family said...

pretty pictures! love bodie's talk writing and how fun that you went to your 10 yr. reunion! you must've had a blast..we went to josh's a few yrs. ago and it was way fun!

Kim said...

What do you mean, you find it interesting, "the monetary value people place on art?"

(We normally place monetary values on EVERYTHING people do, except of course, being a stay-at-home-mom.*sigh*)

Well, I still believe Bertoncino is fabulous, and you paid a fair price. So let go of the $$$ thing which is done & gone and enjoy the prints.

(Jess already forgave you for making a large purchase without him knowing, (I thought you were buying these with your "own" money Sara!) and so I think you should remember this for the future but forgive yourself immediately too!)

Big sister rant now over.

Heidi said...

wow... your sister is a "real" artist.( i checked her blog) i was thinking about going to get my MFA in ceramics when nate was done with school... but when i found out that it was 3 years full time at asu i realized that it might not be the best idea (or have a great financial return) while i am doing the stay at home mom thing- seeing as i hardly have time to do my "craftsie" stuff. I really love making dinner ware and i'll focus on that when I have time to focus. for now it is pinch pots and castles and making my little kids do glaze logs so i can see what happens when they mix different brands of glazes that i bought at discount.

sara said...

Kim- I should have put it differently... I think it is interesting how art is valued by the individual... How some put high monetary value on things and others don't... How some art is highly appreciated, and other art isn't...and how one piece of art can provoke several different feelings from several different people...it's so subjective.

Nat said...

I say that if you think they are pretty and make you feel serene, then there shall be no more thoughts of returning them. If I hadn't read the artist notes, I would not have know it was a female figure. That's what I love about art, you can look at it over and over and see something new each time or feel something inspired by the artist that helps us to see life through another's eyes.