Monday, February 11

I wear a H a a a r r r n e s s s s !


How do these images make you feel?
The kid looks happy, doesn't he? And the mom sure does - look at that smile.
Can only a mother with a toddler understand this concept and think it anything B U T inhumane? Genius maybe?
The more I venture out with my offspring, all of which happen to have the XY chromosome, the idea of having them tied up in one of these is ever so appealing. The above ones are pretty hideous looking, but I bet they get the job done.

Here is a combination backpack w/ harness strap - not bad, trick your kid into thinking they've got a backpack on. My kids love backpacks. - I'm sure they'd figure it out real quick though.
Or maybe I should go all out and get a full on climbing harness like this one...that'd be fun to get #2 in and out of!

What would be really cool is if I found one that had a retractable cord - you know the ones for dogs so they can go like 20' away and as they walk back to you it retracts? Like this one:
That could be a problem for us w/ stairs or elevators. Nonetheless - let me know if you know they exist.

13 comments:

The Dean Family said...

sara..i swear you make me laugh so hard! these are a crack up..but very useful i'm sure...

Abby Runyan said...

All I can think about now is that saturday night live we used to watch with Mike Meyers and Nicole Kidman. But really I need one of those!!!!! Ok when do I get a CD I really want one!!!

The Wilkins' said...

Ha,ha! We actually have the little monkey backpack for Liberty and she LOVES it! It is SO nice to have. I always made fun of people for using the "leash," but now I'm doing it! We were at the airport for 2 hours when I realized that's what I needed. I recommend it :)

Tia said...

Okay so Im not a big fan of these I think there are other ways around them. What I love are the moms that use them for their kids that really aren't even going to run away. We were walking into the zoo and these two moms had them on their sweet little girls who im sure stay by there sides all the time. What you need is my double joovy stroller - I love it. The back of it they can get in and out as they please or you could strap them in if you don't want them in and out and then you could pop the baby in the front pack. Anyway I do see the appeal of them what you and I need is a cage!

Shauna said...

Those images make me feel strange! A harness is so tempting but you don't want your boys to be "you know, the one that wears a harness." We have one of those girls at church :) I could handle the backpack version.

mom said...

Honestly, I don't think there is any thing wrong with them - particularly if there's a chance of losing a child in a department store, airport, etc. When you have more children than your two hands can handle and no stroller big enough to hold them, it seems the way to go. I don't mean dragging them along :) just stopping them from running off. I've seen them used at airports, zoo's and places that are crowded and the kids can easily get separated from you. It basically comes down to how you personally feel about them. mom

Rachael said...

I remember my ex-aunt having her baby on one - and pretty much dangling him from it - and me thinking I'd never use one. Well, I haven't yet, but I've definitely changed my tune! It would be so nice to give up the fight to keep Jace in the stroller - he just wants to walk - and still have him under control. I really like the monkey backpack. (And I only have one kid!)

[dene'] said...

Ahhh, speechless actually, but with my boys it's not a bad idea. It creeps me out b/c it looks like you're walking your dog, I mean child.

[dene'] said...

it's one of those things that your just not use to seeing. the monkey backpack-leash/harness is cute though. They are TRYING to make it not look so restrictive/animalistic.

Jade said...

your posts always make me laugh so hard. i swear it is like hearing someone narrorate my own life sometimes. i must say, i seriously considered purchasing those when my 3 boys were littler (keep in mind that the oldest and the youngest are 2 1/2 years apart). I must say, the older they get the easier that part gets! lol! :) Good luck!

Amber said...

Oh Sara!- I just love that you admit that they are apealing- I have always thought so myself- your honesty is always refreshing! I am reading the Artist's Way!!!!! Thanks for helping me get inspired again. also I have something for you to check out on youtube- an amazing guitar player! I will be e-mailing you soon!

Marnie said...

Let me know if you try one out. Seems like an ingenious idea to me.

Marilyn said...

Hey, I am for the monkey backpack...I say train them up for boy scouts! Get them ready for the Grand Canyon hike...let them carry their own sippies...teach them pride in carrying their own load! Seriously, I have seen the monkey in use and the kid seemed to be honored to have a monkey on his back....and safety is a great bonus...I do think it would be hard to handle three reins at the same time. Remind me to tell you the story of my mother and the rope! Now that was embarrassing!