For whatever reason, I felt like I needed to share this. I came across this tonight as I was looking through my music folder for something to play and sing. -I love looking through piles of papers that I have stashed away and forgotten about....Anyway. This one brought tears to my eyes. I guess because lately I've been having very tender feelings about being a Mom.
Many times when I need to get emotions out I will put pen to paper... I'm so glad that I can look back and read things like this and be taken back to those feelings and memories that I otherwise forget about. I love journaling!!!
9.07.07
I am tired. It seems like I have been a one man show for several days & I am pooped. Jess moved Katie over to California over his two days he was off - and I didn't see him much before that - and he is working today.
I really enjoy being with the boys - they are fun and they make me laugh, and I make them laugh. It is odd to me how I can have polar opposite feelings so closely together - time wise. One moment, I am overjoyed with motherhood. My heart swells, I want more children. Then, I feel overwhelmed, discouraged, not strong enough, not patient enough, tired, and down.
Saturday night I had thoughts of getting a babysitter to just get out by myself, or to go on a run. But before I knew it, it seemed too late, and ultimately I gave up the fantasy. Besides - there was laundry to wash and put away, floors to be swept, and shelves to be dusted.
Sunday morning was surprisingly easy going and not rushed. I always feel rushed when Jess is around - or resentful that he is sleeping-in while I got up with the kids like I always do and get them ready, as well as myself. Sometimes it's just easier to have him gone - because there is no other option than to take care of it myself - I don't wait for him to help.
Church went really well. Sacrament wasn't awful - I managed fairly well with all three. Bro. Loescher came up to me afterwards and said I was doing a great job juggling. That really made me feel good. Bodie asked me to sit with him in Primary, and so I did. I felt the Spirit so strongly. It was very sweet and I am grateful for that experience.
Today a friend from Jr. High was passing through and stopped. We had a nice visit and then packed lunches and went to the park. She (Megan (Fowler) Klatt) is so sweet and such a neat gal - and she has two sweet little boys - Parker and Gunner. After the park I took the boys to the fire station to visit Jess. We had a blast.
This afternoon the feelings of despair came back and I knew I needed a break and to get out of the house. I was able to find a last minute babysitter for two hours. I went shopping and I went crazy - when I was driving away from my house, I felt FREE, giddy, excited. sigh. I saw a very cute dress in a shop downtown and decided to try it on - It was very cute on and I bought it. I also got two other shirts. I spent some money. I can't help the slight buyers remorse that I feel deep down whenever I spend money on myself - or make several purchases in a row - but by golly I went to town - it was almost like a rebellion!
The two hours came quickly, all too suddenly, to an end. I came home to find Brock covered in magic marker and Wyatt eating newspaper and the responsibility of getting these boys bathed and into bed. sigh. I was PLEASANTLY surprised to find that my babysitter had put dinner away AND unloaded the dishwasher. HUGE!!! As I was sitting in the boys bedroom, telling them the "Little Boy Airplane & Star Wars Shoot Shoot" story I made up (and they ask to hear every night) I took in the sweetness of the moment - of parent and children sharing and talking, singing and praying together. :) This time with small children is a whirlwind of emotions and experiences that I wouldn't trade for anything. I love those little boys with all my heart.
Tuesday, February 19
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



13 comments:
I can relate 100 trillion percent with every single word that you wrote. Seriously, it sounds like my feeling to a T. You are splendid!!
well put and thanks for sharing!
So real and honest...what mother has not felt that way?
Sara, thanks for sharing honestly it's really nice to read those thoughts and know we really are all in it together. I love it when people get real!! This sounded like a section in The artist's way where the girl was reading excerpts from her grandmother's journal - it was real but still beautiful and it always came out sounding positive and I think yours did too!
I can totally relate to your Sun morning comment... almost easier when they're not there so you don't expect anything. But I AM looking forward to this Sunday w/Justin being the 1st one together in way too long. But that entry was a great example of how taking care of yourself allows you to be a better mom. Makes me want to do better and journal more!
Hey Sara. I found your blog on Tia's and have been snooping for awhile - you are always so inspiring! I too can completely relate with the "sometimes it's easier when they're not there." Especially on Sunday mornings! To me it makes perfect sense. My whole routine takes 45-60 min. His takes 15. So, he could get them ready during the rest of the hour, right? And like Tia said, it's good to know we are all in the same boat. To go from utter joy and fulness one moment to discouragment, etc in the next. Thank you for sharing with us!
Thanks for the journal entry I needed it. I have had so many range of emotions lately and have felt so OVERwhelmed. It's nice to know other people think its hard too. I'm waiting for it to get easy someday but I'm thinking it just gets harder and we learn how to handle it better. It's funny you mentioned Megan F. I ran into her over Christmas break. It was so fun to see you. She really is awesome I could just tell she was so happy and loved her life.
sara..i love this entry..i think every mother feels this way throughout the day, week, month, year...it's a roller coaster sometimes isn't it?!?!? thanks for sharing
I love reading old journal entries! It is awesome how memories and feelings come flooding back... I guess that means I better write more entries so I have some to read in the future. :) You are a great Mom and we can all empathize with the joys and struggles of motherhood.
I love reading old journal entries! It is awesome how memories and feelings come flooding back... I guess that means I better write more entries so I have some to read in the future. :) You are a great Mom and we can all empathize with the joys and struggles of motherhood.
I remember when you were feeling like that because I was going through such extreme highs and lows as well. I remember running into you at The Basement and talking about how crazy it was to feel so over your head one minute and then the next minute so intensly in love. Things are starting to feel a lot more constant now that Tanner is close to turning one. I wonder if it's the same for you.
Love you, Sara. Sometimes it seems like eons since I was where you are at now, sometimes it seems like yesterday. You are an inspiration. mom
Ha! Mom - I guess I never 'signed out' from when I was at your house!
I loved everyones comments -
Josie - When I got the babysitter and went shopping was the night I saw you at the Basement! :)
Post a Comment