Wednesday, April 4

There was a great article in LDS living about raising children and how to better your family : (thanks tia for passing it on!)

http://deseretbook.com/mormon-life/news/story?story_id=9304 (i hope this link works)

In it, it talks about how many families who found success attributed it to mothers having strong influences on their children in their younger years, and dad's taking on a more significant role, especially with the boys (mom's with the girls) as the children got older. I have three boys. They worship their dad. Bodie just got to go on a fishing trip with Jess and his friend and they got back last night. Bodie was SO excited to go and was on cloud 9 when they got back. It was really cute to see. I know there will be many trips like these - whether it's climbing, mountain biking, skiing, motorcycle riding, surfing, camping or whatever - my boys are so lucky to have such a cool dad! Our family has lots of fun times ahead! After reading that article, I was grateful to be a partner with Jess in rearing our children - one, because he is just a really fun person with a lot of great hobbies and two, because I know he's going to be amazing when the kids get older. He just understands teenagers, and I know the boys will always have a great relationship with him. The teenage years scare me! However, I really liked what a Father of FIVE boys said in the article about raising teenagers:

"Everything seemed to happen at our house--parties, song practices, play rehearsals, and student-body-election committee meetings. Loud music was always competing with somebody on the guitar or piano. The food bill was astronomical. We spent all of our time going to ball games, plays, and programs. I loved it.
"And there were never any real problems with our children. There were the usual romances and breakups, lost elections and football games, a constant hassle about neglected chores; but we did a lot of things together--skiing, fishing, golfing, ball games, and great family trips and vacations. We liked being together, and the talk was always rich and stimulating. Underneath it all was the knowledge that in just a few years our boys would all be on missions. We savored the crowded years that were passing so rapidly. At least in my mind, these years were the easiest."

That's how I imagine it will be and hope it will be for us!

Here's a picture from their trip:

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That pic is too cute of Bodie and Jess! I think the father and son relationship is so neat and so important. Ryan already has Griffin sit and watch the Suns games with him. I love that Jess took him on the fishing trip. Bodie hangs with the guys now!

Shauna said...

I love that description you posted. That's totally how my house was growing up and I HOPE that's how my house will be. I hope I can just relax and have fun more and not worry about all the messes. And that my home is a place where my boys and their friends want to be... their little safe haven :)

sara said...

I love that your fam. was like that! I agree- I know I need to cherish this time when I think my life is pure chaos because my little guys will be big before I know it!

Tia said...

Sara, Im glad you liked the article I printed it out so I would have a copy of it, and I just think it is someting I always want to refer to.