Sunday, April 1

Yesterday was a full day - I managed to watch the morning session of general conference before running off to my hip hop class (now don't those two things paired together in a sentence sound a bit strange?) I can't wait to get my ensign next month and go over the talks again. I especially liked Elder Holland's talk - he mentioned how the savior taught that it doesn't matter what goes in your mouth, but what comes out that matters most - a few weeks ago after a sunday school lesson on parables I came home and read several parables in matthew. The one that Elder Holland mentioned about what comes out of your mouth is what really matters was one of the parables that stood out to me. I suppose his address humbled me. There are several areas that I need to work on, especially holding my tounge - whether it's not raising my voice to my kids, making a sarcastic remark to Jess, or passing along information about someone, aka gossiping. So I was grateful for the repremand - it was what I needed to hear. I always love conference because it keeps me in check and makes me remember what's really important and who I really want to be.

So I got to my class and the hour passed way too quickly. I had a ton of fun. We learned a few more counts, but for the most part it was review - which was good, because this was my second class and so I was able to get caught up on the whole dance with the rest of the class. And I was able to relax alittle more and get into it. Too much fun. I highly recommend taking a dance class.

After the second session I hurried off to help at the soup kitchen with the YW and YW leaders from my ward. I hadn't done it in years and it was a great experience. At my last book club we discussed the 'Princess Acadamy'. In it, these girls from a remote mountain village have a year to prepare to meet the prince of the land at a ball where he will choose one of them to become the princess. Now I am getting myself into trouble because I have a horrible memory, but in the book somewhere it talked about treating everyone as your equal or as if they were above you. I decided while I was at the soup kitchen I would do that. My job was in the serving line; "Would you like some salad?, apple sauce?" I chased away any judgement that came into my mind and was genuinely happy to be serving everyone that came through the line. The lot of people were interesting. Most were very greatful for the hot meal they were receiving, others seemed embarrassed to be coming back through the line a third or fourth time, and there were those where it was just another day. My heart went out to several people, especially when the small, quiet, big-eyed children came through. :( I realized how great I have it and how trivial it seems to be concerned with what I'm going to put in my house next or what I'm wearing or I should really say NOT wearing! :) Where is the balance? It was a good experience - again I was humbled!

2 comments:

Nate and Lauren said...

Just call me Scary Spice!! just kidding, we are kind of over that now, but jessie will still answer to sporty!...I can't believe you have 3 boys, they are sooo cute! I am so glad you said hello, it's been a long time...this blogging thing is so fun b/c we all can keep in touch and see what is going on in each other's lives. I miss Flagstaff, but luckily Nate's Family has a cabin in Williams so we are up there every summer. I am sure the weather is just perfect now... oh the memories!-- lauren

Becky said...

That was a great post! conference was great! always so humbling!