Thursday, June 12

I went to lunch with an old co-worker/boss/friend last week. It was really great to talk and catch up. We worked together in an architectural firm - She took me under her wing and 'showed me the ropes'. She also has a degree in Interior Design and we would often talk about how this neck of the woods needed a 'real' design firm. After having Bodie, I went back to work P/T and back to a new job - at that dreamed of design firm...I had just passed the NCIDQ, but, long story short, after a few months I decided to be at home full-time. Then, jobs started coming my way. Someone wanted their office remodeled, or help with paint colors, or arranging a room in their home...So I decided to 'open up shop' -and had a grand ol' time learning the ins and outs of being a *small* business owner. (emphasis on small) But the whole time, I never really felt like I 'worked' because the jobs were sporadic, and some over quite quickly... Until the end of last year. I don't advertise, and don't know that I ever will because I see myself mostly as a Mom - and that is enough work in and of itself! But I really do love when new jobs come along - It is exciting and challenging, and crazy and hectic...a juggling act. So when my friend and I were at lunch the topic of me coming back to work for her came up. Part of me wants to say "I'll see you in the AM girl." - She's built an amazing business and I would love to be a part of it and get that experience, but then the other part is telling me I have a pretty good thing going on on my own...I work my own hours - which is around family life... I don't have to worry about 'taking time off', and I can make phone calls/answer calls looking like a train wreck... It's all just making me realize that being a stay at home mom is a luxury that I don't know that I want to give up... hmm. Something I've been contemplating as of late...to go back, or not. Oops. Bed time.

6 comments:

Fauset Photography said...

Oh such a difficult decision! I work for myself and even being my own boss I get completely overwhelmed and feel like I put my family on the back burner sometimes. It's so hard because with something like photography, or ID in your case, it's what you LOVE to do so it doesn't feel like work, more like a hobby and escape from mundane things. So then you have to deal with balance. Balancing what you love to do with how much time you want to do what you love, how much you're away from your family and if it's making you a better mom, or a stressed mom. I struggle so much with that fine line! You're amazing, you'll do what's best for you and for your family. One thing that always sticks out in my mind is from Ballards talk last conference that you loved...we have our children little for such a small amount of time. When they're grown and gone I'll be able to do what ever I want, when ever I want...or something like that! :)
That was long. Sorry, I just needed to remind myself of everything I just wrote. So thank YOU!

Jen said...

Oh Sara, what a difficult decision. My thoughts have changed so many times. I have discussed this with Dave SO many times. But, with Drew in school, I finally made my choice. Two years ago, I was seriously thinking of going back to work, I was just trying to find something for me. I wrestled with it so much and thought with Drew in school I would only have to put 2 kiddos in daycare/preschool. But that first day that Drew got on the bus to go to school, it hit me like a freakin' ton of bricks. 5 YEARS IS ALL I GET!!! I watched him leave on that big ol' bus and the realization brought me to tears. Only 5 years until teachers, friends, academics, activities, little girls, and a million other random things slowly start filling their minds. I am their whole world right now and I decided I was going to be home for it. I want to go back to work when they are all in school, but I finally realized, I have such a small percentage of their lives where it is just them and me and I won't give it up. It doesn't make the days easier but it helps me to understand why I chose it. Like Jen above, I agree that your post helped me remember why I want to be at home. (Sometimes I can forget...) Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I don't know if you're looking for advice or just a listening ear, but I thought I'd comment anyway. I agree with these 2 gals in that we only have these children for a short time and they need us. There is a time and season for everything. But you are a smart girl and I know you'll do what you feel is right. Missed ya at our lunch!

Jamelle Kelly said...

I just finally quit working with the law firm this past week and it was really hard for me, but I finally realized why I liked that job so much- it made me feel really important and needed and special. I always received lots of attention and praise- sometimes this is what we miss as moms- even though a mother is the best choice when we have a choice. There were many years when I didn't have the choice and I'm grateful now that I can be at home as much as I can with Naomi. I think you are a great example as a mother. Thanks.

The Dean Family said...

that is a tough decision..i think you need to do what makes you happy...:) i know you do great work..good luck w/ the decision making process!

sara said...

Thanks girlies! I loved the comments! In case you're wondering - I never felt great about going back to work - and I honestly can't say I ever will... I know I'll continue doing what I'm doing - taking jobs from home. It's been working out really well. It's the best of both worlds for me. I think I just need to be careful not to take on too much! Right now it's kinda crazy.