Friday, March 23

This is our family dog, Kona. She is a sweet girl. She is 4 years old. She was our first "baby"; until the real babies arrived that is. I love her alot, and not. It's a love/hate relationship really. Although I don't really want to use 'hate' cuz that's a harsh word. We'll change it to dislike. I like Kona because she is good company, not that I'll ever admit that to my husband :), but she is. The house seems somewhat empty when she's not around; sometimes that's a good thing. I like her because no matter how I treat her, she still loves me. I like her because she keeps an eye on the boys and likes to play with them despite how rough they are with her sometimes. I like her because she makes me feel safe when Jess works at nights. I like her because she is a happy, silly, good natured dog. I like her because she has an obsession with flashlights and laser pens. It's really quite funny and entertaining. And lastly, I like her because we are desperately in LOVE with the same man, Jess. sigh. I dislike Kona because she smells - she's a dog afterall, I must remember. I dislike her because she pulls diapers and tampons and tissues out of the trash and leaves me the mess to pick up. EWWW! I know, believe me, I know. I dislike her because she runs in the house with muddy paws - again, another mess for me to clean up. I dislike her because she scratches my beautiful front door when she wants in. grrrrr. I guess I should let her out the back then, right? I dislike her because she begs for food. I don't know why that bothers me so much. And lastly I dislike her because Jess is desperately in love with HER. Yes, she is the 'other woman' in his life. Oh ya, and did I mention she smells? sigh. This was a good exercise. I think the likes far outweigh the dislikes. I'm going to change my attitude and be nice to Kona. :)

6 comments:

Kim said...

I have similar feelings in regards to Jake. I think I'll bawl my eyes out when he dies of old age, because I could love on him a lot MORE. The only reason I don't like having a dog is that it makes me feel guilty knowing he is so sweet, and he's reliant on us & he got a raw deal. I mean, his life isn't good enough for the good dog that he is. He deserves someone that loves dog licks on the mouth. You know what I mean?

Becky said...

oh man alive that was the funniest ever to read! ha!ha!ha! All those things you listed why you dont like her...i am right there with you! but your right again...they are so loyal. So very loyal and good natured. must of them anyhow.

Shauna said...

I'm not an animal person whatsoever (except maybe a turtle) but those are cool pics!

We're in NC because Justin got stationed here at Camp Lejeune w/the Marines. We've been here since April 2004 so almost 3 years. A little over 1 more to go. Yay!

My email is shaunamh@gmail.com if you ever want/need it :)

sara said...

I will be VERY sad when kona passes on, but that will be many many years down the road probably.I feel that dogs deserve a good home too - that's why I'm changing my attitude! :)

thanks for the email shauna!!

Becky said...

Turtle story...my sister had one and thought it needed a home outside by the pool. They dug a hole and got a sand pail and buried it half way in the sand/dirt and made a "awesome little cave" for it...the next day they came to check on it and it had literally been cooked...the little cave in the middle of the arizona summer was a great miniture oven. the turtle was "well done". GROSS! dont make a turtle a cave to live in...they get cooked.

KatieJ said...

So half way through I was thinking, "Oh, how sweet, maybe we should get a dog in our house!" But then by the end I came back to my reality, I couldn't do it. That is funny though- and sweet!