Sunday, May 2

TURNING THIRTY and being diligent.
Photobucket
(Becky provided the decorations. This is the after the clean-up)
Photobucket
(fresh flowers make me smile. aren't they beautiful?)

I was excited for my birthday. I wanted a celebration. I wanted to be with people that I loved. So we threw a small gathering. Jess made wonderful fish tacos and 3 salsas (a mango/pineapple based one, red, and chunky.)
Marilyn made me a strawberry cake that I had been CRAVING. :) It didn't disappoint. There were hellium ballons floating around everywhere that the kids had a ball with. (I wish I had a picture!) I didn't take any that night. :I But it was a nice evening. Friends came, my parents and in-laws came up (and both drove back to their homes that night, *thank-you*) and my sister Kim and niece Ava came up and stayed the night. I don't spend as much time with my sisters as I'd like, so it was a TREAT.

I hadn't given much thought to entering into a new decade. But today I am reflective. I am excited for this new chapter in my life. I wonder what the next ten years will bring. I often think about the type of person I am. Mostly the wife I am & the mother I am. But also the sister & daughter I am, and the friend I am. I want to perfect each of these. I want my relationships to be solid and meaningful. I want to continue to invest in myself, but also more so in my family because that is where I think the greatest return will be. I think I do a pretty good job, but know if I put more effort into it, I will be grateful in the long run. It is easy to get wrapped up in the things I want to do...

I've been listening to conference talks over and over when I workout. Elder Bednar talked about being diligent. (Steady, earnest, and energetic effort.) I think that is going to be my motto for my thirties. DILIGENT in all things. My relationships, my mothering, my physical being, my spiritual being, and other aspects in refining my whole being.

Cheers to thirty. (Unfortunately I have the chin hairs to prove it.)

5 comments:

Shauna said...

happy birthday! loved this post. i'm feeling reflective today, too!

mom said...

A wise woman, you are. You'll have a great 30's decade with those goals in mind! If I could change one thing in my 30's I would have testified much more often to my little ones about gospel principles and valient men of the Book of Mormon, etc. Why I love the book so much. Use scriptures as problem solvers - (how Christ, Helaman, Moroni, Jacob, etc., or our modern day Prophet felt about this or that; so that maybe little testimonies would have become more ingrained - more of an anchor to draw on when thinking and doing and living in this challenging world. I love the Book of Mormon. It is my favorite inspirational book - no, my favorite book period. (Can you tell I finished reading it again - gave a lesson on it today in Relief Society? Love you. You are an awesome woman, mom wife and daughter.

Brittney Smith said...

Happy happy 30!! I love the flowers too. So pretty. Thanks for your thoughts on being diligent. Great motto. Love the pic idea too when you have reached 10 yrs.

The Dean Family said...

happy b-day sara!!! and happy 10 yr. anny!! how on earth did you get jess to take pics. with you?!?!? ha!ha! let me know so i can get josh to do the same next year..ha! p.s. they look great!

Abby Runyan said...

Loved this post! & love your motto for your 30's such a great one & I already think you are. I'm so glad you had a great b-day. Your amazing, love ya!