Wednesday, September 17

Mothering...

Jess & I spoke in Church this past Sunday. It was a nerve wracking experience, but I am so grateful we had that opportunity because I learned so much, and now have much to study and ponder. A scripture & quote I read in part of my talk has kept playing over and over in my mind...helping me to stay calm and go about things a bit differently as a mother...(I know an answer to my prayers)
D&C 121
41 No power or influence can or ought to be maintained by virtue of the priesthood, only by persuasion, by long-suffering, by gentleness and meekness, and by love unfeigned;
42 By kindness, and pure knowledge, which shall greatly enlarge the soul without hypocrisy, and without guile—
43 Reproving betimes with sharpness, when moved upon by the Holy Ghost; and then showing forth afterwards an increase of love toward him whom thou hast reproved, lest he esteem thee to be his enemy.

The quote I keep thinking about is by Elder Nelson: “Do not try to control your children. Instead, listen to them, help them to learn the gospel, inspire them, and lead them toward eternal life. You are God’s agents in the care of children He has entrusted to you. Let His divine influence remain in your hearts as you teach and persuade.” (beautiful)
LISTEN, INSPIRE, LEAD, PERSUADE.

Yesterday, after I picked the boys up from school we were pulling into the driveway and I said -"Okay boys, I need to get a few things together and then we're going to go to the Club! (gym) Bodie immediately started brooding and barked: "NO! I don't WANT to go to the club!" (huff) The impression to persuade and not control came into my mind...
"Bodie," I calmly said, "Momma loves going to the club, it makes me happy, and I'd really like to go to my class. Please support me in this." Bodie's whole demenor changed. His voice was sweet as he said, "Sure, Mom!"
I thought of how differently that could have gone - If I had retorted back, "Well too bad, we're going!" (basically saying I don't care about your feelings) It would have been a power struggle. It would have been a fight...

10 comments:

mom said...

Your comments brought me to tears. Your words have touched my heart and set the tone for MY day. There is so much wisdom within the scriptures, if we but take the time to look. As a result of your posting, I'm reminded of the importance of searching more often. Love you - you inspire me. mom

Jen-ben said...

Beautiful Sara!!! I just LOVE this...and NEEDED this. Thank you!

Jenny said...

Thanks Sara. Being a mom is the hardest job ever! This is a perfect reminder to me of how I need to respect my children and not just tell them what to do.

Marnie said...

GREAT scripture and quote! Thanks for sharing. I think I need to read that every day to remind me how the Lord would have me be a Mom. 'Cause trying to figure it out myself just aint working! :) That was just what I needed. Thanks!

Shauna said...

It really works! I thought about this all day yesterday. I was really good in the morning...but it got really hard as I get tired by the end of the day. Now how do I keep myself in a 'happy place' so I can always be a good mom?

[dene'] said...

loved it! AMEN.

sara said...

Shauna- don't ask me! Someone else can take that!

McDonald Army Brats*** said...

Wow girly I am right there with MOM. Brought me to tears. Us mom's of all boys...wow I have that same thing happen all day long with different boys, different ideas. Dang it I wish you lived a little closer to AK! :) Thanks for the uplifting articles. U rock! Isn't it awesome how we can lift each other through simple blogs. I never have time to talk on the phone, but with blogs I can squeeze in a few moments here and there, and totally feel connected, and uplifted by so many friends. YEah! for the blogging world! :)

Jade said...

I absolutely love reading your blog. You are always so insightful. It kicks my butt and makes me want to be better. Thank you!! You are awesome!

debsfreckles said...

Thank you for posting this, I came back to read it because I remember liking it so much. I remember hearing it, in fact as I read it I thought this must have been a talk byElder Nelson because I hear his voice in my head saying it. But it made it even better to hear it with your experience of following the council. Thanks!